Monday, July 28, 2014

New Illustrations + Library Makeover = Happiness.

We moved into our new home in December 2012 with a 1 1/2 year old and a baby due in March. In the house, we had a beautiful library/study off our bedroom that although I was very much looking forward to using as a home office/studio/reading nook we felt it best to use as an easy to access playroom. This worked out well for a little over a year, but as we entered into this past spring the clutter had become intolerable to both Nathan and I. Toys were out of control growing legs and moving all throughout the kitchen and our bedroom (stepping on box cars and miniature airplanes in the dark is the worst!!!!). And if that was not enough Nathan and I were battling over the small office area we had off the laundry room on days he worked from home which was too small to hold the both of us. We decided it was time to move the playroom upstairs to the empty bonus room above the garage (aka Nathan's mancave he never quite broke in) and create the office and library we had always intended and needed to have.

All of this to say, I looked at this as an opportunity to makeover the room and utilize some of my long lost illustration skills. Something I've struggled with for the past several years, actually ever since college, is illustrating often. And even though I practice graphic design in various outlets I somehow hardly ever do my own drawings. So I decided to whip up some simplistic illustrations to update the room.

In addition, I played a round of musical furniture/decor to update and brighten the room. I also purchased a few new inexpensive knick knacks, a new desk and desk chair and repainted the walls white in order to, once again, brighten things up.

Nathan and I were both really happy with the outcome. Wanted to share both the room and illustration work to show our progress. Enjoy!

Original design and illustration. Frames were spray painted a subtle gold to add a little
pop up against the white walls.


This is a "Before" photo of the previous playroom and the chaos we were dealing with
prior to the makeover. 


The "After" photo. The finished piece. One of my many happy places. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts